Hello all, the site continues to get hits, but it looks like this scam may have peaked in 2016 as more people became aware of it. Just under 14,000 visitors last year, and a steady flow of comments showing the continuing efforts of these naughty people to trick you out of your money.
If you receive one of these silly emails suggesting you need to register your company or brand name for many other top level domains, just ignore it and move on with your life.
I wish you health and happiness and freedom from domain scammers,
November 2012 – The Start of It
Below is an original email I received, which has been repeated many times. It attempts to coerce you into registering domains names as a defensive strategy to preserve your ‘brand’. You can either ignore the emails, or tell them a firm “No!”, or even suggest you’ll report them to the Police. No action is necessary in my opinion.
The original email
I got an email today (Nov 30th) from Edwin at www.dic-network.org.cn which appeared to be helpful, to help me avoid someone registering my domain name all over the place. I also found a website here which confirms that this is a scam. The end result is that they wanted €1,200 from me to register all the domain names below. Nice. I also found out that a “Net Brand” is the idea that someone’s browser knows about your domain name in advance, sort of like type-ahead, which most browsers do for free.
Thanks for your confirmation. As soon as receiving the application of that company, we checked and found “the-otc-space” is your company’s using name and brand. We are concerned that your brand name might be affected negatively by their applications, this is why we informed you. following Net Brand and domain names are applied for by that company:
You have to know that the domain names registration is open in the world, that company also has the right to apply for the available domain names. you only have the preferential rights to register them.
At present, we haven’t passed their application, we need your opinion. If your company consider these names of importance to your company’s business or interest, I suggest that your company register these names first so as to avoid confusion or speculation. If you don’t want to protect your intellectual property rights, then my suggestion is your company give up these names so that we can finish registering for them as per our duty.
Please give me your company’s decision as soon as possible in order to handle this issue better.
Head of Registration Department
Tel:+86.5513434624 || Fax:+86.5513434924
May 21st 2013: Summary
Two styles of email are being sent:
This is a formal email. We are the department of Asian Domain Registration Service in China. Here I have something to confirm with you. We formally received an application on May 20,2013 that a company claimed LSX Intl Ltd were applying to register “our brand name inserted here” as their Brand Name and some domain names through our firm.
2012: Senders so far
Group 1 (www.dic-network.org.cn)
- Edwin Zhang, Head of Registration Department, Tel:+86.5513434624 || Fax:+86.5513434924
- Alex Yao, Head of Registration Department, Tel:+86-551-63434624 || Fax:+86-551-63434924
- Jim Wong, Tel:+86-551-63434624 || Fax:+86-551-63434924
- Arvin Su, Head of Registration Department, Tel:+86-551-63434624 || Fax:+86-551-63434924
- Mark Ren, Tel: +86.551/63434624, Fax:+86.551/63434924
- David Zhao, Tel:+86.551/63434624||Fax:+86.551/63434924
- Tony Xu, Tel:+86.55163434624 || Fax:+86.55163434924
- Sandy Sun, Tel:+86.55163434624, Fax:+86.55163434924
- Gavin Hai, Tel:+86.55163434624 | Fax:+86.55163434924
- Evan Su, Tel:+86-551-63434624 || Fax:+86-551-63434924
- William Wu, Tel:+86. (0551) 63495334 || Fax:+86. (0551) 63495344
- Austin Yao, Head of Registration Department; Tel: +86.551 63434624, Fax: +86.55163434624
Group 2 (http:/www.picweb.biz)
- Anna Liu, Regional Manager, Solutions Pic, AnHui Office:, Phone: +86-551 6512 0117, Fax: +86-551 6512 3308
- Kivin Han, Regional Manager, AnHui Office:, Phone: +86-551 6512 0117, Fax: +86-551 6512 3308
Group 3 (Others)
- Alston Yang, Tel: +86.7395266069 Fax:+86.7395266169, Address: 166 Huangshan Road Hefei 230001 Anhui, China
- A Russian website also got an email from Alston Yang: http://www.indeso.ru/domain-dispute-and-protection/
- Jim Wang, Tel: +86 216191 8696 Web: http://www.cnygregistry.com
Someone else has built a massive database of these scammers, see here: http://www.europeandomaincentre.com/pages/news-room/domain-management-news/hey!-got-an-email-from-china-domain-name-registration-center-asian-domain-registration-service-in-china-the-department-of-registration-service-in-china-etc.
FYI – the occurrences of this scam keep coming – you can see they really pushed out tons of crap in July / December in 2015.
The internet will soon break with the steady increase in this sort of crap. 😉 Or maybe the number of hits on the website indicates we are winning the war against scammers.
I’m not sure if the number of hits growing rapidly is a sign of success – people are finding the site and ignoring the scam – or whether the volume of this scam has increased. Happy 2017, see you next year, Bill.